For Artopia eventgoers, cocktails and food will tantalize, music will stimulate, and fine art and fashion will entice the senses.
The seventh annual multi-sensory gathering, presented by Miracle Mile and Downtown Coral Gables, will showcase food, art, fashion, music, dance and cocktails on February 26, 2015 at the Coral Gables Museum. The highlight of the evening will be the Miami New Times’ MasterMind Awards. The award grants $1,000 to three local artists, writers, craftspeople or other performer whose work “stands out for its enterprise, creativity, and genius.”
Ten finalists will exhibit their work at the Thursday night shindig. The masterminds include the following local artists:
- Jason Fitzroy Jeffers Writer and director of "Papa Machete" documentary about machete fighting in Haiti: http://papamachete.com/
- Hattie Mae Williams "Renegade dancer" known for staging guerrilla ballet in odd locales: http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/cultist/2014/11/miami_people_hattie_mae_williams.php
- Bistoury Theater A contemporary dance company that incorporates film, sculpture and theater into their works: http://vimeo.com/72938103
- Liz Ferrer Performance artist known for her art collective, Southernmost Situations, which is inspired by weird Florida history like the abandoned town of Islandia: https://www.youtube.com/0vGHwFlEmQM?rel=0&controls=0&showinfo=0"
- Randy Burman Uses found art for installation pieces, knownfor his O, Miami series where he installed street signs with enigmatic poetry around town: http://www.randyburman.com/
- Jolt Radio A "free format online radio station" based in Wynwood known as an incubator for underground acts: www.joltradio.org
- Alex Trimino This Colombian-born artist combines neon lights, crochet and knitting into amazing sculpture: http://www.alextrimino.com/
- Limited Fanfare A rock-focused indie label that's churned out 30 releases in the last five years from notable up-and-comers like Ex-Norwegian and Little Daggers http://www.limitedfanfare.com
- TM Sisters Miami's favorite digital video performance siblings: http://www.tmsisters.com/
- John Bailly A Yale-educated painter doing a residency at FIU, Bailly recently collaborated with poet laureate Richard Blanco: http://clampart.com/2013/01/john-bailly-b-1968/
The evening’s entertainment will include DJ Supersede, BEE1NE live performance art, Circ X interactive dancers, and Bottle & Bottega interactive painting.
Artopia, Thursday, Feb, 26, 6 to 10 p.m., Coral Gables Museum , 285 Aragon Ave., Coral Gables, FL 33134. For more information, visit NewTimesArtopia.com.